Stepka Photography is now Only Sunshine Studio. Please visit us there!

Why should I hire a custom photographer? My friend has a nice camera and she said she would take our pictures.

Would you hire a band for your wedding based on what type of instruments they have or based on how well they can use them?  Would you hire someone to write something for you because they have an expensive pen or because they have writing skills?  Do you get your hair cut by someone who has nice scissors?

Why should hiring a photographer be any different?  Why is the skill of the photographer not taken into consideration?  I shoot in manual mode (NOT manual focus) because I know that AUTO will not usually expose a shot perfectly or how I want it.  I understand that lighitng is the most important thing to consider when choosing a session location.  I know how to use the light so my images are not only properly exposed but are also accentuated by the existing light.

I use Photoshop to edit every image because, as every professional photographer knows, digital images straight out of the camera (SOOC) are flat.  I have my images printed at a professional lab that watches each print to be sure the colors are perfect.  I know that an image sent two months ago will look exactly the same if I sent it today.  Consumer labs do NOT calibrate their printers like professional labs do. 

If you are not concerned with how your images will look and are ok with ok, then by all means let your friend's sister take your newborn's first images or your yearly family portrait and save some money. 

Hire a custom photographer if you feel you 'get what you pay for' and understand that there is more to creating an awesome portrait than standing behind a 'nice' camera and pressing the shutter release. 

I will end this rant with an example of a before and after image.  Keep in mind, however, that the 'before' image was taken in a spot I chose specifically because I knew would I could get some sparkle in the eyes and still have a properly exposed background.  Again, this is part of the skill of a professional - knowing where to shoot and where to place the subjects in relation to the light.


Label Cloud

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP